Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 5 : "Foreboding"

The morning was filled with a drowsing moisture, suffocating my nose with its own fluid. Insects crawled along the walls of the room, and the bad taste in my mouth yielded angering thoughts of their actions throughout the night.

They would be the least of my worries, today.

It was foggy, and warmer than usual here. I could hardly see beyond the nearby trees from my front door. This made hunting hard, and I refused to go a day without a meal. I needed the strength. It was time to put my hoe to use.



Using some stone and my shovel, I fenced off the water from the shore, and dug out a small garden of sorts, with a moat around its cornering border. Digging and slashing at the various plantlife around the place between my house and this garden had given seeds, and in great earnest and hopefullness, I planted them along the outside, nearest the water. My previous work had shown successful, for once, as the dirt had moistened, and the seeds quickly showed signs of growing.

I left it as it was, and wandered back into the fog toward the mine.


It was moist within the walls, but much easier to see here, as the fog did not seem to dwell in darkness. Through my mining, I found a pool of water, and suspicion rose that this had been the source of thwarting my mineral progression from the day before.

The water was deep and cool, and without a chilling despair to it. I lowered myself into it, to see if I could find the bottom, but panic had struck, and I slipped into the murky abyss, below.



Instinctively, I had shut my eyes upon falling in. I could swim, just barely, but I usually wore goggles to help me see. The water had stung my eyes in the past, and I did not wish for it again... But now, I need find my way out of this inked blackness, or I would suffocate, as with its first attempts.

I opened my eyes.

From what little I could see, it was astounding what depth there was. A tantalizing maze in total darkness, and I could only hope to drain it, some day. Looking up I saw light, and realized I had sunk to the bottom, already. It was deep, but not deep enough to kill me. I kicked off the floor and surfaced, pulling my soaked husk from the water, and laying to catch my breath. The cavern had grown cold, and I assumed night had fallen. Scooping up my burning torch, I made my way out, dripping all the while. Perhaps I could dry myself with wool back home.

The moon was indeed rising from the shore, with its evil, spiteful gaze. It was still full, after all my days here. Still daunting. Still hateful. My one nemesis.

Amidst my poetic thought, something caught my eye from the corner of the room. A flower had bloomed there, from dirt under the cracks of the floor. Had it been there before? Had it grown within a mere day? I could not recall any other instance of its existence. And yet... A glowing aura around it seemed to call out to me. Drawing me closer. Soothing me. Calling to me. Wishing for my embrace. A flower like any other I had seen, but this one... It looked like a vile rose, with an artistic mesh between its body and its petals. It drew me close, and I reached out to touch it...



it burns fire all around me it hurts the pain whispering demon hate kill the moon daunting overhead i wish to end it all the fire the pain it hurts cant move cant breath my limbs wont move why am i here what am i to become my bones are not but worthless tools i cannot see i cannot breath i wish to die but i cannot i have things i need to places i must go time is against me life itself hates me i do not wish to die but i have nothing to live for please let it end let the fire consume me all else is suffering but pain lets me sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment