Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 2 : "Pain"

I awoke with a start, knowing all too well that this dream was a reality. The feeling of morning dew had seeped through my open roof, forcing the wool bed to clamp around me in a strangling tangle; had I not awoken now, I may have strangled myself to death by my own shoddy craftsmanship. It took some effort, but I had managed to rip apart the wool around me, leaving it in a matted heap against the corner. I would need to do better, next time, or it may be the last time.



I stared up through my sun roof to see the stars dissolve into the new morning sky overhead. I needed to think of a plan. Clearly this reality was very real. I felt the pain of a poor nights sleep in my chest and back, accompanied by the realization of thirst and hunger in the pit of my stomach. I needed to think of a plan, today. If this was to be the rest of my life, then I may as well make the very best of it.

I went to work with the wood from the charred tree, and through some trial and error, fashioned myself a makeshift shovel out of wood, along with a sad-looking axe of the same material. I would build a bon-fire as best I could today, and much against my preferred nature, I would need to kill to survive.


Testing my new shovel against the hardened doorway, something hissed at me at a startling noise, and I was knocked back by a projectile of some form. It had felt like liquid against my right shoulder, and soon it began to eat away at my coat and shirt, scalding my exposed arm in a searing pain unlike any I had ever felt. Looking up at the exposed entrance to my new home, a gigantic spider stared angrily toward me, its jaw open and bleeding from where my shovel must have struck.

I scrambled behind my work bench in pain, gripping my arm with nothing else to suffice. I had realized that this island was far from ordinary, and I would need to make the most of everything I had; material, brain and brawn. Quickly, I put together a sharp wooden sword, and stabbed the creature in its exposed head as hard and as swiftly as I could. In response, it gave a short, loud shriek of pain, and its writhing body came to a dead, limp halt.


I waited for a moment before drawing my sword from its soft, oozing head, to assure the spider-like creature had surely drawn its last breath. Relieved, I continued to open my front door with full alertness, circling the wooden room from its outside to ensure my safety. For now I was safe... Safe to prepare for another attack.

As I wander the island in careful alertness, I bring myself to kill some sheep, in hopes of at least a single meal to the day. Carefully I skinned and shaved them; setting the bodies aflame afterward, and covering them with dirt to put it out. Using my axe, I cut into the charred flesh, and salvaged what I could from the beasts. It was dry, chewy meat, but it was to be my only meal.


I had left the sheep's skin out in the warm, dry air in hopes of using it to defend myself. As the sun set, I headed inside and got to work with the leather, sewing it together with a pointed stick, and some wool. It was a shoddy job, but the best I could muster now, without any skill of my own; but it would do. It fit loosely over my shoulders, and under its weight I felt safer; ready for this accursed place to do its very worst.

Night fell quickly.



I was awake and alert to the sound of footsteps outside my small room. There was a bang against the wall outside, echoing throughout the room, causing me to jump to my feet. Whatever it was, it continued to walk and wander around. It sounded like there was several. Pacing. Marching. And altogether it suddenly stopped, only worsening the feeling of growing fear within my gut. I held my sword tightly, and waited.

Suddenly, the dirt of my front door gave way, and a humanoid figure began toward me at an alarming speed. It slashed at me, and I slashed back. I was on the verge of death. And it stared at me blankly and frothing. It was already dead.

In deep fear, I let out a cry; slashing wildly without thought, against my earlier pledge for survival. And yet, this worked well. My thrashing had slit its throat open, and it fell backward against my floor. Its blood seemed to consume itself wondrously, pooling around the very outline of its existence. Had I blinked, it would have merely vanished into thin air; and yet its very blood seemed to dissolve its body and itself, leaving the floor perfectly intact, as if it had never existed to begin with. But I had known otherwise. My left arm was cut and bleeding profusely from the wound the monster had left.


My vision blurred, and soon all I could feel was pain. A searing pain throughout my arm. I could not see. All I could sense was pain. An endless, deafening pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment